Friday, October 16, 2009

Why are we going?

We had planned on doing something special to celebrate our 30th. wedding anniversary (Aug.26) ever since our 25th. anniversary. We talked of many things but never could come to an agreement and nothing ever felt "right".

However, as Aug. approached, we realized that we had to make a decision and plan something or nothing would happen, which wouldn't be unusual. I finally convinced Morris that an Alaskan cruise would be a good idea. There were good deals to be had and we had frequent flyer points.

We were all set to start making bookings when, on July 11, this arrived in an email from Ross and Lyndal Webb, good friends and the Director of SIL Vanuatu : "25th October - November whenever. We do need someone to consultant check a gospel of Luke - did you do consulting Morris, I forget?" I read it first and knew Morris would be drawn to it. I asked Morris to read it and left the room, praying all the way! I came back in to see him sitting in contemplation and could tell by his face that he wanted to go. "Let's do it!" was my reply. What was I thinking?? There went my relaxing cruise and in came lots of uncertainty, planning, work details, etc. but the decision came with great peace. My "no more than 3 weeks" turned into 5 weeks as we looked at dates, vacation time there and when the cheaper flights were. We couldn't go all the way there and not visit good friends in Australia!

We hoped to do something special for our 30th. never dreaming it would be this special. Seeing good friends from PNG is wonderful but being able to be involved directly again in Bible translation, priceless!

5 comments:

  1. I want to say that going on an Alaskan cruise with Wendy is a VERY good idea, which may yet happen some day. You never know. I am grateful for her and am glad we are having this adventure together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great looking blog! I'm impressed that you are the first in the family to get on board the wave of the future. i'll be following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you will have this experience together and in honor of your 30th anniversary is even better. Praying that each day will be a blessing to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never could talk that Morris into a cruise! I'm going to still keep trying - smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you guys are having a great time!
    The blog thing is kind of fun. Almost like being there:) We are praying for you both!
    John and Stacy

    ReplyDelete